For both new applicants and applicants claiming experience:
Classifications and Requirements of Appraisers
Approved Qualifying Education
New applicants must undergo a state and federal criminal background investigation and fingerprinting by the Division of Criminal Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Please note: Resident and non-resident appraisers may be required to apply for a South Dakota Sales Tax License. Please call the South Dakota Department of Revenue at 800.829.9188 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a sales tax application.
Additional information and forms for applicants claiming experience:
Appraisal Experience Log (Microsoft Excel format)
Work Product Review Procedures
Applicants Seeking Renewal of Certification
Applicants Seeking to Upgrade Certification.
Applicants Seeking a Temporary Permit
- Forms will not be processed if incomplete or improperly completed. The application must be typed or printed clearly in ink, and must be accompanied by the appropriate fees.
- The Social Security number of any applicant must be listed on the application pursuant to South Dakota Codified Law (SDCL) 25-7A-56.2.
- Upon application approval, you must pass a national examination.
- An application is valid for only 90 days.
- Note that once you become licensed, you will be required to renew yearly with continuing education required every odd renewal year.
- Any appraiser applicant shall be denied, if:
- Have had the ability to perform appraisals revoked in the previous five years by another jurisdiction.
- Have been convicted of a felony in the previous five years or at any time if the felony involved fraud, dishonesty, a breach of trust, or money laundering.
- Have failed to demonstrate character and general fitness which warrants the confidence of the community unless it is determined that the applicant will operate honestly, fairly and efficiently.
back to top
Executive Director, Sherry Bren
South Dakota Appraiser Certification Program
308 South Pierre Street
Pierre, SD 57501