- Home to DLR
- Home to Electrical Commission
- Commission Information
- Consumer Complaints
- Disciplinary Actions
- Fees for Inspections
- Homeowner Wiring
- Experience Requirements for Licensure
- Applications & Forms for Licensure
- Continuing Education Requirements
- Exams for Licensure
- Reciprocal Agreements for Licensure
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
- Tool Box - Resources for Electricians
- Undertaking & Insurance Requirement
- Wiring Bulletin (Adobe PDF)
- Contact Us
- Other Boards & Commissions
South Dakota Electrical Commission
Tool Box - Resources for Electricians
Calculators and Mobile App Links
National Electrical Code Guidance
Thermal Barrier Reference Document
Grounding Electrode Systems
Calculators and Mobile App Links
Available Fault Current Calculator Mobile App (from Cooper Bussman)
Free resources from Mike Holt
The following are provided as a courtesy because they are commonly referenced electrical wiring codes from South Dakota Codified Law (SDCL) and National Electrical Codes.
- 110.11 Structure status before a RI will be conducted:
- Windows/Doors installed or openings enclosed with plywood, tarps or Tyvek.
- Structure wrapped in Tyvek or similar material.
- Shingles, tin, steel, or other roofing material installed (tar paper does not satisfy this requirement).
- Soffits installed or soffit area enclosed.
Note: Enclosures for windows, doors and soffits which protect the installation from the elements are acceptable.
- 210.52 & 20:44:22:23 If the back of a cabinet(s) is butted up to a studded wall, it is not considered an island or peninsula. Therefore the requirements in 210.52 pertain. (Note: recommend to install a circuit to be available for future utilization where not required.)
- 210.8 GFCI and AFCI receptacles in cabinets are considered readily acceptable unless behind an appliance.
- 210.8 A 10 - Guidance is to treat washing machine like a sink in a laundry area.
- 210.8 A 10 - Guidance is a cabinet is not considered a door, doorway or window.
- 210.12, Art. 100 and 90.4 - Specialty resort installations containing the 4 elements of a dwelling unit will be required to utilize AFCIs. (Permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking and sanitation).
- 210.12 A - AFCI is not required for 120V furnace circuit.
- 210.12 A - Outlets or devices which would include switches are required to be AFCI protected.
- 7 and under rooms
- 250.52 UFFER Ground - required to be connected to foundation or footing.
- 445.13 - The exception clarifies generators with breakers can be derated at 100 percent.
- 680.42 C The 2017 NEC now allows NM cable to be installed between the service panel and the breakers disconnect for the outdoor hot tub.
- 702.4B2 - Utilize this article when sizing a generator utilizing an automatic transfer switch.
- Shunt trip breakers for "Machine Roomless" passenger elevators may be located in the elevator or in the building machine room
- Wiring Bulletin - Grounding electrode conductor must terminate at the neutral bar in the service.
- NEC 110.24 requires service equipment in other than dwelling units to have the available fault current labeled. The label shall have the date the calculation was figured and shall be able to withstand the environment involved.
- Size over current protection per name plate on equipment. Example air conditioner.
- NEC 406 Install weather resistant receptacles.
- NEC 408.4 - Labeling breakers
- Current service locations are not grandfathered
- 110.26 – Access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of equipment.
- 210.12 If circuits are modified, replaced or extended over six feet, AFCI protection is required.
- S.D. Wiring Bulletin - Service conductors extending over five feet in a building could be run in rigid metal conduit up to 15 feet.
- 240.24(f) Services cannot be located in stairways, bathrooms, clothes closets, etc.
Documentation of Rough in Process
- Rough in inspection with corrections – yellow sticker
- Rough in inspection approved – adhere blue sticker. (Yellow sticker removed or blue sticker adhered over yellow sticker.)