Department of Labor and Regulation

Title - Division of Insurance email the Division of Insurance

What to Do After a Flood

Contact your Agent or Company Representative to Report your Loss

Have ready the name of your insurance company, policy number and a phone number and/or email address where you can be reached.

Separate your Property

Your policy will also require you to separate your damaged property from undamaged property. Do not throw anything away. If possible please place damaged items outside your home.

Make a list of Damaged Contents

If you have purchased contents coverage, make a list of damaged property. Include the age and value of damaged items when possible. Take photographs.

List Areas of Structural Damage

Look over your property, make a list of any areas of structural damage you want to point out to the insurance adjustor.

For More Information

For additional questions on the above information please contact the Division of Insurance or visit

Contact Us

124 S. Euclid Ave., 2nd Floor
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: 605.773.3563
Fax: 605.773.5369

Division of Insurance
124 S. Euclid Ave., 2nd Floor
Pierre, SD 57501
Tel. 605.773.3563
Fax. 605.773.5369