Department of Labor and Regulation

<Title - Division of Insurance email the Division of Insurance

Residency — Home State

You could reside in another state and hold a South Dakota resident producer license. A resident producer license is issued using your home state address. The definition of home state includes your principal place of residency or your principal place of business. For example, you might live in another state bordering South Dakota but be employed in an agency in South Dakota. This provision does not apply to Bail Bonds. A Bail Bonds person must reside in South Dakota for at least one year to be eligible for a license.

If you already hold a non-resident producer license in South Dakota, all you need to do is provide us a change of address and request a Letter of Clearance from your home state. We will verify electronically that your license has been terminated in your home state and if you were licensed in good standing, we will issue your new resident producer license. You will not need to complete an application, submit a fee or take any insurance exams. You will need to make this request within 30 days from the date you move to South Dakota.

If you move to another state from South Dakota, you will need to obtain a Letter of Clearance by sending a request and payment in the amount of $10 to the South Dakota Division of Insurance. We will issue the Letter of Clearance in favor of the new state in which you are applying for a new resident producer license. The Letter of Clearance indicates you were licensed and in good standing in South Dakota and the lines of authority you were authorized to write. The division will issue you a South Dakota non-resident license once you provide us your new mailing address information and proof of your new resident producer license from your home state. No license application, fee or Home State Certification is necessary if you were licensed and in good standing when you left South Dakota. This information must be requested within 30 days of termination.

If you move to South Dakota and held a license previously in another state and request or apply for a license in South Dakota within 90 days of the date you terminated your license in the previous state, you will not need to take any South Dakota exams to become licensed for the same lines of authority you held in your previous state. If you do wish to become licensed in additional lines of insurance, you may need to take an exam.

Division of Insurance
124 S. Euclid Ave., 2nd Floor
Pierre, SD 57501
Tel. 605.773.3563
Fax. 605.773.5369